Skip to main content

Patience, Patience, Patience Is Key.

On day one, Mr. Mr. wasn't eating dog food and after a couple of tries, he finally ate a doggy treat. So I was really concerned that he was sick. Because, how is it possible that a dog would turn down a snack that smelled like bacon, right? Nonetheless, in the back of my head I thought there was a chance that he was used to eating human food. After all, he was living the streets when my cousin found him, but I wasn't sure.

Not having any previous history of the dog, I decided to give him at least a day to see if he would eat the dog food I have at home. By the way, I feed my dog the Kirkland brand from Costco that lists chicken as its first ingredient. I totally recommend it and also recommend not feeding your dog human food. It's terrible for their teeth and there are several ingredients in human food that is toxic to dogs like garlic.

Well before the end of day two, Mr. Mr. tried the food, liked it, and devoured the bowl. Now we know that at least he's not sick and can eat and hold down food. Even if the dogs wait until the end of the day to eat, it's okay. Just be patient and stay the course.

Being patient is also the key in dog training. What I learned from Cesar Millan is when training, don't touch the dog until he's done what's been asked of him. So although I use dog treats for training. I also use a good pat on the back, and positive words to reward our dogs. Yes, like "good dog!" works great when training your doggy. And like with humans, reward them when they are doing something right instead of only punishing them when they are doing something wrong. It takes spending lots of time with them but if you have that kind of flexibility with your schedule, it's absolutely worth it! You'll save so much heartache in correcting them and instead spend your time celebrating their good behavior. In the process you'll create a very cheerful environment and that's something that everyone will appreciate.


On our next trip to Costco, we'll be buying the Medium Dog bag for Mr. Mr. The kibbles from the Small Dog bag were a little to small for him.


Comments